- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Ouray Ice Park. Ouray is known in ice-climbing circles for its abundance of frozen waterfalls. The Ouray Ice Festival, held each January, helped to cement the town's reputation as America's ice-climbing mecca. The Ouray Ice Park is the world's first facility dedicated to the sport. In the Uncompahgre Gorge, just south of town, the Ice Park has 11 climbing areas with more than 200 routes. 280 County Rd. 361, Ouray, CO, 81427. 970/325–4288. www.ourayicepark.com.
Ouray Mountain Sports. This outfittter sells and rents all sorts of outdoor-sports equipment, including ice-climbing gear. The staff will also sharpen your ice screws, generally within a day or two, using the only Grivel sharpening machine in North America. 732 Main St., Ouray, CO, 81427. 970/325-4284. www.ouraysports.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe