- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Durango Transit has regular bus service up and down Main Avenue, as well as to Purgatory during ski season. Durango Transportation will transport you between the airports and the resorts.
Purgatory isn't a proper town, but simply a collection of resorts, restaurants, and ski shops clustered around Purgatory Mountain on U.S. 550 some 25 mi north of Durango. The mountain is named for the nearby Purgatory Creek, a tributary of the River of Lost Souls.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $119-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through Summer, 70% Off The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Downtown Denver Hotel, 50% Off — $119-$159 The Westin Denver Downtown