- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Durango Transit has regular bus service up and down Main Avenue, as well as to Purgatory during ski season. Durango Transportation will transport you between the airports and the resorts.
Purgatory isn't a proper town, but simply a collection of resorts, restaurants, and ski shops clustered around Purgatory Mountain on U.S. 550 some 25 mi north of Durango. The mountain is named for the nearby Purgatory Creek, a tributary of the River of Lost Souls.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe