- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
San Juan National Forest. There are plenty of opportunities for climbing in the Columbine Ranger District of the San Juan National Forest, just outside of Durango. Some of the more popular spots are Julia's Spire, Golf Wall, and Fume Wall. U.S. Forestry office, 15 Burnett Ct., Durango, CO, 80301. 970/247–4874. www.fs.usda.gov/sanjuan.
San Juan Mountain Guides. For classes and guided trips in some of the area's most beautiful and challenging crags, talk to San Juan Mountain Guides. Seasonal courses run year-round and cover the basics (beginning climbing techniques, belaying, and rappeling) as well as specifics such as rock rescue and desert crack climbing. Trips run from one to five days. 1111 Camino del Rio, Suite 105, Durango, CO, 81302. 970/259–0370. www.mtnguide.net.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe