- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
On the bank of the Dolores River at the McPhee Reservoir, Colorado's second-largest body of water, Dolores is midway between Durango and Telluride on Highway 145. This sleepy little town in the San Juan Forest attracts visitors with its spectacular scenery, fabulous fly-fishing, water sports, mountain hiking, and outdoor adventure.
The gentle rising hump to the southwest of town is Sleeping Ute Mountain, which resembles the reclining silhouette of a Native American replete with headdress. The sacred site is revered by the Ute Mountain tribe as a great warrior god who, mortally wounded in a titanic battle with the evil ones, lapsed into eternal sleep, his flowing blood turning into the life-giving Dolores and Animas rivers.
Dolores at a Glance
Elsewhere in Telluride and Southwest Colorado
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $119-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through Summer, 70% Off The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Downtown Denver Hotel, 50% Off — $119-$159 The Westin Denver Downtown