- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Getting Here and Around
Crested Butte is just over the mountain from Aspen, but a short drive in summer turns into a four-hour trek by car in winter, when Kebler Pass (on Rte. 135) is closed and it's necessary to drive a circuitous route. Both Aspen and Crested Butte are surrounded by designated wilderness areas, which mean that few roads pass through this region.
Alpine Express will transport you between the airports and the resorts. Mountain Express is a reliable free shuttle-bus service between the town and the resort, which are about 3 mi apart, every 15 minutes during ski season. Although a car is unnecessary and even unnerving for those not comfortable driving on snow and ice, having one makes the going much easier.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe