- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Mountain Biking. Crested Butte is the mountain biking center of Colorado. This is a place where there are more bikes than cars, and probably more bikes than residents. Many locals own two: a cruiser (or "townie") for hacking around and a mountain bike for serious hacking around. Nearby Pearl Pass is known as the route that got the fat-tire craze started. After a group of motorcylists rode the rough old road from Aspen to Crested Butte, a few of the town's cyclists decided to do the same ride in reverse. They hopped onto their clunky two-wheelers—a far cry from today's sophisticated machinery—and with that, the sport had arrived. The 40-mi trip over Pearl Pass can be done in a day, but it's tough, and you must be in excellent condition and acclimatized to the elevation. Crested Butte, CO.
Lower Loop. Great for beginners, the Lower Loop is a popular 8- to 9-mi ride that will help orient you to the area. The views up the Slate River valley to the peaks of Paradise Divide are wonderful. Tony's Trail consists of a short, moderate climb leading to an intersection with the Upper Loop Trail. Here you can take in the view of the town below and the mountains above, then enjoy a fun descent back down or venture further in either direction on the Upper Loop. Crested Butte, CO, 81224.
Outfitters and Expeditions
The Alpineer. This shop prides itself on having the latest gear and a staff knowledgeable enough to get you on the right bike and trail as quickly as possible. 419 6th St., Crested Butte, CO, 81224. 970/349-5210. www.alpineer.com.
Crested Butte Mountain Guides. Experienced riders can take overnight tours (with meals, lodging, and transportation) starting at $175 per person, per day. 218 Maroon Ave., Crested Butte, CO, 81224. 970/349-5430. www.crestedbutteguides.com.
Crested Butte Bike Week. Each summer, mountain-biking enthusiasts roll in for Crested Butte Bike Week, the country's longest-running mountain-bike festival. The event, held in late June, is a solid week of racing, touring, silly competitions, and mountain-biker bonding. Crested Butte, CO. 800/545-4505 or 970/349-6438.
Crested Butte Sports. Come here to rent Cannondale mountain bikes, plus helmets and other gear. It also has a full repair shop. 35 Emmons Loop Rd., Crested Butte, CO, 81225. 970/349-7516 or 800/301-9169. www.crestedbuttesports.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Starting Fr $119: Great Gunnison Price Hotels.com
- Gunnison Savings! Book at Quality Inn Gunnison Fr $134+/Nt Expedia
- $30.95 & up : Compact rentals in Gunnison Hotwire
- Small budget: Book Mesa Verde Inn Cortez 3 Nts in Jun Fr $79+/Nt — $79 Expedia
- $28.95 & up : Economy rentals in Gunnison — $29 Hotwire