Summit County Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Top Reasons to Go to Summit County
Skiing Choices: You won't find more choices to ski and ride within snowball-throw's distance of one another than in Summit County, many a mere hour's drive from the Denver Metro Area.
Mining Heritage: It was gold that built Colorado in the 1800s, and this legacy is alive and well in the rejuvenated mining town of Leadville.
Mountain Waters: Nothing beats a day of lake kayaking or fishing among the many wooded islets on Lake Dillon, the reservoir that is the heart of Summit County.
Festival Fun: Breckenridge hosts numerous festivals, including the aptly named Spring Massive Festival in April, and the weeklong Ullr Festival in January.
Trail Biking: Sure, there are plenty of single-track rides, but the real draw is the glorious paved bike trail that runs from Dillon up and over the mountains to Vail.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe