- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Horseback riding. Because of the ranches surrounding the Yampa and Elk rivers, Steamboat is full of real cowboys as well as visitors trying to act the part. Horseback riding is popular here for good reason: seeing the area on horseback is not only easier on the legs, but it also allows riders to get deeper into the backcountry—which is crisscrossed by a web of deer and elk trails—and sometimes closer to wildlife than is possible on foot. Riding, however, isn't for everyone. There's usually a personal weight limit of 250 pounds, and children need to be able to handle their own mount. If you've never ridden a horse before, book a short test ride first. Allergies and sore muscles can turn a dream ride into an epic journey. Riding, instruction, and extended pack trips are offered at a number of ranches in the area, although some may require a minimum stay of a week. Steamboat Springs, CO.
Del's Triangle 3 Ranch. One facility that can organize rides from hour-long tours to journeys lasting several days is Del's Triangle 3 Ranch. It's about 20 mi north of Steamboat via Highway 129. Box 893, Clark, CO, 80428. 970/879-3495. www.steamboathorses.com.
Sombrero Ranch. Sombrero Ranch is right in town and has one-hour guided tours perfect for novices. 835 River Rd., Steamboat Springs, CO, 80487. 970/879-2306. www.sombrero.com/steamboatsprings.
Howelsen Rodeo Grounds. Every Friday and Saturday evening in summer, rodeos are held at the Howelsen Rodeo Grounds. 5th St. and Howelsen Pkwy., Steamboat Springs, CO, 80487. 970/879-1818.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $119-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through Summer, 70% Off The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Downtown Denver Hotel, 50% Off — $119-$159 The Westin Denver Downtown