- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Colorado National Monument
Colorado National Monument Review
Sheer red-rock cliffs open to 23 mi of steep canyons and thin monoliths that sprout as high as 450 feet from the floor of Colorado National Monument. This vast tract of rugged, ragged terrain was declared a national monument in 1911 at the urging of an eccentric visionary named John Otto. Now it's popular for rock climbing, horseback riding, cross-country skiing, biking, and camping. Cold Shivers Point is just one of the many dramatic overlooks along Rim Rock Drive, a 23-mi scenic route with breathtaking views. The town of Fruita, at the base of Colorado National Monument, is a haven for mountain bikers and hikers. It makes a great center for exploring the area's canyons—whether from the seat of a bike or the middle of a raft, heading for a leisurely float trip.
Visitor Center. Scheduled programs, such as guided walks and campfire talks, are posted at the Visitor Center. Maps and trail information are also available. 970/858-3617. Feb.-Apr., daily 9-5; May-Sept., daily 8-6; Oct.-Nov., daily 8-5; Dec.-Jan., daily 9-4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Special deal: 4-Star Torian Plum Condominiums Fr $204+/Nt Save with Expedia, $94/night less
- Snow Flower Condominiums on Sale: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $137+/Nt Save with Expedia, $63/night less
- $57.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Steamboat Springs Hotwire
- Special deal: 4-Star EagleRidge Lodge Fr $211+/Nt — $211 Save with Expedia, $97/night less
- $65.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Steamboat Springs — $66 Hotwire
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Hello fellow travelers!
We are two women from Denmark, 33 and 36 years old, who are planning a trip to the US, but we could use a bit of help with some of the details.
A bit about us, and our travel preferences: Read more
· News & Features
Memorial Day is the unofficial start of what we like to call "weekend getaway season."... Read more
Wineries have a very obvious main draw.... Read more
The Aran Islands (Inishmore, Inishmaan, and Inisheer) are three small, but adventure-packed islands o... Read more