- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Dinosaur National Monument
Dinosaur National Monument Review
Straddling the Colorado-Utah border, Dinosaur National Monument is a must for any dinosaur enthusiast. A two-story hill teeming with fossils—many still in the complete skeletal shapes of the dinosaurs—greets visitors at one of the few places in the world where you can touch a dinosaur bone still embedded in the earth. The Colorado side of the park offers some of the best hiking in the West, along the Harpers Corner and Echo Park Drive routes and the ominous-sounding Canyon of Lodore (where the Green River rapids buffet rafts). The drive is only accessible in summer—even then, four-wheel drive is preferable—and some of the most breathtaking overlooks are well off the beaten path.
Dinosaur Quarry. After its predecessor was closed for five years because of structural damage, the much-anticipated new Dinosaur Quarry Exhibit Hall opened in 2011, showcasing an estimated 1,500 dinosaur bones that date to the late Jurassic Period still embedded in the clay. A half-mile away is a massive and new 7,595-square-foot visitor center. Visitor center: 7 mi north of Jensen, Utah, on Rte. 139, 84035. 970/374-3000.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Super Low Grand Junction Rate: Book Fr $118+/Nt Save with Hotels.com, $11/night less
- $55.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Grand Junction Hotwire
- $10.95 & up : Compact rentals in Grand Junction Hotwire
- 3-Star Courtyard by Marriott Grand Junction Fr $110+/Nt — $110 Save with Hotels.com, $100/night less
- $16.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Grand Junction — $17 Hotwire
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Four of us are planning a backpacking trip in the Lost Creek Wilderness second week of June. Read more
· News & Features
From major airline uniform upgrades to tips from the jet set on doing Paris right, this was a very chic... Read more
The curious and daring among you will discover the vibrant, gilded landscape of Istanbul, the city tha... Read more
Viking Ocean Cruises to debut in May 2015 with a small ship, all-inclusive experience in Scandinavia and... Read more