- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The center of one of the last areas in the state to be explored by European settlers, Rangely was dubbed an "isolated empire" by early pioneers. You can search out the petroglyphs left by Native American civilizations or just stroll the farmers' market in Town Square. If you enjoy back-road mountain biking, the Raven Rims have an abundance of trails. You may even spot elk, mules, deer, coyotes, and other wildlife as you spin your wheels through the multihued sandstone rims and mesas north of town. Kenney Reservoir 5 miles north of town offers fishing and swimming, and a trip on the Cathedral Bluffs trail gives new definition to "isolated empire."
Rangely at a Glance
Elsewhere in Steamboat Springs and Northwest Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's