- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The self-described "Home of the Black Canyon" sits amid glorious surroundings, but it’s otherwise a sleepy little town with a small historic center and a collection of truck stops, strip malls, and big-box stores along its outskirts. Montrose also has a small airport that’s a major gateway for skiers heading to Telluride and Crested Butte. Montrose is perfectly placed for exploring the Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park and Curecanti National Recreation Area to the east, the San Juan Mountains to the south, Grand Mesa to the north, and the spectacular Uncompahgre National Forest to the southwest.
Montrose at a Glance
Elsewhere in Southwest Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's