- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At the confluence of the Gunnison River and Tomichi Creek, Gunnison is an old mining and ranching community and college town. It's been adopted by nature lovers because of the excellent outdoor activities, including hiking, climbing, fishing, and hunting. In fact, long before any settlers arrived, the Ute Indians used the area as summer hunting grounds. Gunnison provides economical lodging and easy access to Crested Butte and Blue Mesa Reservoir. Gunnison's other claim to fame is that it has recorded some of the coldest temperatures ever reported in the continental United States.
Gunnison at a Glance
Elsewhere in Southwest Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's