- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Downhill Skiing and Snowboarding
Purgatory at Durango Mountain Resort. Formerly known simply as Purgatory, this ski resort 27 miles north of Durango has plenty of intermediate runs and glade and tree skiing, but what's unique about it is its stepped terrain: lots of humps and dips and steep pitches followed by virtual flats. A great powder day on the mountain's back side will convince anyone that Purgatory isn't just "Pleasant Ridge," as it's sometimes known in the bigger resorts of Crested Butte and Telluride. The truth is that Purgatory is just plain fun, and return visitors like it that way. The ski area is perfect for families and those who are open to other diversions, such as snowshoeing, cross-country skiing, and snowmobiling. 1 Skier Pl., Durango, CO, 81301. 970/247–9000 or 800/982–6103. www.durangomountainresort.com. Late Nov.–early Apr., daily 9–4.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's