- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The Arkansas River, as it spills out of the central Colorado Rockies on its course through the south-central part of the state, reputedly supports a brown-trout population exceeding 3,000 fish per mile. Some of the river's canyons are deep, and some of the best fishing locations are difficult to access, making a guide or outfitter a near necessity. See www.wildlife.state.co.us/fishing for more information.
ArkAnglers. A good fly shop with an experienced staff, ArkAnglers offers guided float and wade trips, fly-fishing lessons, and equipment rentals. 7500 W. U.S. 50, Salida, CO, 81201. 719/539–4223. www.arkanglers.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe