- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Monarch. A small ski resort that tops out on the Continental Divide, Monarch has five chairlifts, 64 trails, 800 acres, and a 1,162-foot vertical drop. It's a family-friendly place with moderate pricing—one-day lift tickets cost $57. The resort also offers snowcat skiing on steep runs off the Divide, plus the 130 acres of extreme terrain in Mirkwood Basin. 22720 U.S. 50, 18 mi west of Salida, Salida, CO, 81227. 719/530-5000 or 888/996-7669. www.skimonarch.com. $57. Mid-Nov.-mid-Apr., daily 9-4.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $6.19 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com