General William Jackson Palmer, the founder of Colorado Springs, was greatly influenced by European architecture and lifestyle, and lived in this evolving mansion-turned-castle from its beginnings in the 1870s until his death in 1909. Original gas lamps and sandstone structures remain. Many of its rocks were hewn with the moss still clinging, to give them an aged look. The grandiose estate is maintained by a fundamentalist Christian ministry called the Navigators, which
runs programs and seminars. An afternoon English tea is offered daily in summer.