- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
In 1842 El Pueblo trading post, on the bank of the Arkansas River, was a gathering place for trappers and traders. Today the trading post is an archaeological dig set in a pavilion next to the new El Pueblo History Museum. The thriving city of Pueblo surrounds the museum, and the Arkansas River runs through the city in a concrete channel, tamed by the Pueblo Dam.
To get a sense of the city and its offerings, start at the museum, stroll through the Union Avenue Historic District, and then take a ride on one of the tour boats leaving from the Historic Arkansas Riverwalk, an urban waterfront area that restored the Arkansas River channel to its original location. More than 110 parks, in addition to hiking and bicycling trails, help to define Pueblo as a sports and recreation center.
Pueblo at a Glance
Elsewhere in South Central Colorado
- Buena Vista
- Cañon City and Royal Gorge
- Colorado Springs
- Cripple Creek
- Cuchara Valley
- Florissant Fossil Beds
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe