- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
For an easy day trip from Pueblo into Colorado's past, head east to La Junta. The Koshare Indian Museum is in town, and Bent's Old Fort National Historic Site and the dinosaur tracks and ancient rock art of the canyonlands are nearby.
La Junta (which roughly translated from Spanish means "the meeting place") was founded as a trading post in the mid-19th century. It was a stop for the Santa Fe and Kansas Pacific railroads, and today is home to 7,000 residents.
La Junta at a Glance
Sports and Outdoors
Elsewhere in South Central Colorado
- Buena Vista
- Cañon City and Royal Gorge
- Colorado Springs
- Cripple Creek
- Cuchara Valley
- Florissant Fossil Beds
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's