- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Colorado's third legalized gambling town, Cripple Creek once had the most lucrative mines in the state—and 10,000 boozing, brawling, bawdy citizens. Today the charming main street is lined with casinos housed in quaint Victorian buildings. Outside of the central area, old mining structures and the stupendous curtain of the Collegiate Peaks are marred by slag heaps and parking lots. Take a side trip to nearby Victor, walk down streets where hundreds of miners once took streetcars to the mines, and learn about their lives.
Cripple Creek at a Glance
Elsewhere in South Central Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's