- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Pikes Peak Greenway Trail. This trail combines with the New Santa Fe Regional Trail for 34 mile of multi-surface trails for hiking and biking. The trails run from Tejon Street through Colorado Springs and north to Palmer Lake. A 6.9-mile section goes through the Air Force Academy, but you are expected to stay on the 6-foot-wide trail. Helmets and ID are required on the academy grounds, which may be closed at times. Past the academy, the trail then flows over gently rolling hills and finally follows a straight line and level course over an abandoned railroad track for the last 6.5 miles into Palmer. Trail begins on Tejon St., Colorado Springs, CO. 719/520–6375. www.elpasocountyparks.com.
Red Rock Canyon. At this Colorado Springs city park, you can ramble on trails among the red sandstone monoliths and spires, balanced by white limestone and yellow-brown sandstone hogbacks. Trailhead south of U.S. 24, near 31st St., Colorado Springs, CO, 80904.
Red Rock Loop Trail. On Manitou Section 16, this is a 5.5-mile, moderately difficult loop with an elevation gain of up to 1,100 feet. The topography varies from steep, mountainous terrain to moderate slopes, mesas, and canyons. There are views of sandstone formations and old quarries, as well as a terrific perspective of Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak. Trailhead on Trail Ridge Rd., off U.S. 24, Colorado Springs, CO, 80904.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's