- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The contented residents of the Colorado Springs area believe they live in an ideal location, and it's hard to argue with them. To the west the Rockies form a majestic backdrop. To the east the plains stretch for miles. Taken together, the setting ensures a mild, sunny climate year-round, and makes skiing and golfing on the same day feasible with no more than a two- or three-hour drive. You don't have to choose between adventures here: you can climb the Collegiate Peaks one day and go white-water rafting on the Arkansas River the next.
The state's second-largest city, it is known as a politically and socially conservative bastion, and the reputation is somewhat deserved (the evangelical group Focus on the Family has its headquarters here). The cultural scene is strong here, too, between the outstanding Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center, the Colorado Springs Philharmonic, and the variety of plays and musicals offered at several theaters.
The region abounds in natural and man-made wonders, from the red sandstone monoliths of the Garden of the Gods to the space-age architecture of the U.S. Air Force Academy's Cadet Chapel. The most indelible landmark is unquestionably Pikes Peak (14,115 feet); after seeing the view from the peak, Katharine Lee Bates penned "America the Beautiful." Pikes Peak is a constant reminder that this very contemporary city is still close to nature. Purple in the early morning, snow-packed after winter storms, capped with clouds on windy days, the mountain is a landmark for directions and, when needed, a focus of contemplation.
Colorado Springs at a Glance
- ANA Money Museum
- The Broadmoor
- Cave of the Winds
- Cheyenne Mountain Zoo
- Colorado Springs Fine Arts Center
- Garden of the Gods
- Ghost Town
- Glen Eyrie
- Manitou Cliff Dwellings
- Manitou Springs
- Miramont Castle Museum
- Commonwheel Artists Co-Op
- Cripple Creek Dulcimers
- Flute Player Gallery
- Kinfolks Mountain Outfitters
- Patsy's Candies
Elsewhere in South Central Colorado
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe