- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Outfitters and Expeditions
Colorado River Outfitters Association. With dozens of outfitters working from Salida, Buena Vista, and Cañon City, south-central Colorado is one of the top places in the country to go rafting. The Colorado River Outfitters Association is an organization of more than 50 licensed outfitters who run rafting trips on Colorado's 13 river systems. Cañon City, CO. 303/280-2554. www.croa.org.
Echo Canyon River Expeditions. Echo Canyon River Expeditions offers float trips with gentle rapids for first-time rafters in Bighorn Sheep Canyon, family trips through Brown Canyon, and adrenaline-inducing rides through the Royal Gorge. Rafting through the Royal Gorge is not an experience for the faint of heart; you'll pass between narrow canyon walls through rolling Class IV and V waves, with hordes of tourists watching from the suspension bridge above. This company also runs combo trips including rafting-train ride, and paddle-saddle tours. Cañon City, CO. 719/275-3154 or 800/748-2953. www.raftecho.com.
More Sports and Outdoors
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $59* & up -- Fares from 64 U.S. Cities into September, e/w Frontier Airlines
- $6.19 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com