- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Cañon City and Royal Gorge
Cañon City is an undeniably quirky town. From its easy access to the nearby Royal Gorge, a dramatic slash in the earth, to its aggressive strip-mall veneer (softened, fortunately, by some handsome old buildings), you'd think Cañon City existed solely for tourism. Nothing could be further from the truth: Cañon City is in Fremont County, called "Colorado's Prison Capital" by some. In Cañon City and nearby Florence there are more than a dozen prisons, including Supermax. While this may seem like a perverse source of income to court, the prisons have pumped millions of dollars into the local economy.
Cañon City and Royal Gorge at a Glance
Elsewhere in South Central Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's