- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Arkansas River. Adrenaline-charging rapids range from Class II to Class V on Colorado's Arkansas River, one of the most commercially rafted and challenging rivers in the world. Among the most fabled stretches of the Arkansas are the Narrows, the Numbers, and Browns Canyon, but extreme paddlers tend to jump on trips through the Royal Gorge, which the river has carved out over eons. Plan your trip for the early summer snowmelt for the biggest thrills. Buena Vista, CO.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Independent Whitewater. This family-owned company has been running the Arkansas River since the 1980s. Groups are small, and the take-out is at a private area after running Seidel's Suckhole and Twin Falls on regular half-day trips. 10830 CR 165, Salida, CO, 81201. 800/428–1479 or 719/539–7737. www.independentrafting.com.
River Runners. This long-respected outfitter offers rafting trips on the Arkansas River, including the Royal Gorge stretch, which is classed expert, but there are other choices on the river for families who want a gentler experience. 24070 County Road 301, Buena Vista, CO, 81211. 800/723–8987. www.whitewater.net.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe