When to Go
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
When to Go
More than two-thirds of the park's annual 3 million visitors come in summer and fall. For thinner high-season crowds, come in early June or September. But there is a good reason to put up with summer crowds: only from Memorial Day to mid-October can you make the unforgettable drive over Trail Ridge Road (weather-permitting).
Spring is capricious—75°F one day and a blizzard the next (March sees the most snow). June can range from hot to cool and rainy. July typically ushers in high summer. Up on Trail Ridge Road, it can be 15°-20° cooler. Spring and summer are the best times for wildlife viewing and fishing. In early fall, the trees blaze with brilliant foliage. Winter, when backcountry snow can be 4 feet deep and the wind brutal, is the time for skiing, snowshoeing, and ice fishing.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $152 & up -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 40% Off The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $109-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through July, 70% Off — $109-$129 The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs