Rockies Near Denver Hotels
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Rockies Near Denver Hotel Reviews
In summertime, out-of-state and regional visitors flock to Georgetown and Idaho Springs to explore the rustic ambience, tour a mine, and hike or mountain bike on trails that thread the mountainsides; or to Golden to tour the MillerCoors Brewery. You won't find megaresorts or grand old lodges; but there are bed-and-breakfasts, condominiums, a few nice hotels in Golden, and some chain properties. Winter Park Resort has a mix of hotels and motels, plus a few upscale ranches. In Black Hawk and Central City, where gambling is allowed, there are several big hotels with casinos on the main floor, plus a few smaller casinos tucked into historical storefronts.
Despite the abundant amount of federal and state land that checkerboards the High Rockies, finding an established campsite is surprisingly difficult along the I-70 corridor. From Memorial Day to Labor Day campsites fill up quickly, especially on weekends and holidays. To improve your chances, call to reserve a campsite or arrive early in the day. Established car-camping sites generally have restrooms, water pumps, trashcans, and fire pits. Open fires are only allowed when the danger of wildfires is low. Wilderness devotees who don't relish the idea of a neighborhood of tents can escape into the vast backcountry. The Indian Peaks Wilderness Area—a string of 13,000-foot-high peaks that brace the Continental Divide north of I-70—has limitless options for camping.
Colorado Campground and Lodge Owners Association (CO. 970/259-1899. www.campcolorado.com.)
Browse Rockies Near Denver Hotels
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $119-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through Summer, 70% Off The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Downtown Denver Hotel, 50% Off — $119-$159 The Westin Denver Downtown