Metate Room Review
The park's rugged terrain contrasts with this relaxing space just off the lobby of the Far View Lodge. The well-regarded dining room is candlelighted, but the atmosphere remains casual. A wall of windows affords wonderful Mesa Verde vistas. The menu is based on regional heritage foods, including corn, beans, and squash (all staples for the Ancestral Puebloans). Many entrées are unique, such as cinnamon-chile pork tenderloin or regional quail with prickly-pear red-pepper jam. Every table gets mesa bread and black bean hummus for starters. There's an array of local wines (try Cortez's own Guy Drew) and cocktails with kitschy names, like the "Long House Lemonade." Gluten-free and vegan options are available.
- Address: Far View Lodge, across from Far View Visitor Center, 15 miles southwest of park entrance, Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330
- Phone: 970/529–4421
- Website: www.visitmesaverde.com/dining/metate-room.aspx
- Location: Mesa Verde National Park
- Reservations not accepted.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed late Oct.–late Apr. No lunch.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We usually take at trip from Greeley up US34 each Sept and Thanksgiving week to Estes Park and Rocky Mountain National Park. Read more
For a while we thought our vacation to Rocky Mountain National Park and Steamboat Springs might be in jeopardy due to the fires but little did we know that a bizarre flood would get in the way. Read more
We will be in the Boulder area the week before Christmas for business and would like to spend a few extra days sightseeing. Read more
· News & Features
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest... ... Read more