Metate Room Review
The park's rugged terrain contrasts with this relaxing space just off the lobby of the Far View Lodge. The well-regarded dining room is candlelighted, but the atmosphere remains casual. A wall of windows affords wonderful Mesa Verde vistas. The menu is based on regional heritage foods, including corn, beans, and squash (all staples for the Ancestral Puebloans). Many entrées are unique, such as cinnamon-chile pork tenderloin or regional quail with prickly-pear red-pepper jam. Every table gets mesa bread and black bean hummus for starters. There's an array of local wines (try Cortez's own Guy Drew) and cocktails with kitschy names, like the "Long House Lemonade." Gluten-free and vegan options are available.
- Address: Far View Lodge, across from Far View Visitor Center, 15 miles southwest of park entrance, Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330
- Phone: 970/529–4421
- Website: www.visitmesaverde.com/dining/metate-room.aspx
- Location: Mesa Verde National Park
- Reservations not accepted.
- Credit cards accepted.
- Closed late Oct.–late Apr. No lunch.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Day 1 - 28th Oct.(15 miles) Our weather reports had told us that overnight and morning would be the worst storms in the UK for 25 yrs. Got to be true as they had been forecasting it for days and days before. Read more
A few months ago, DH and I decided to look for a place to get away for a few days at a ski resort, someplace close to the slopes to avoid having to lug our skis and heavy boots a long distance to the base. Read more
We are contemplating a trip in mid to late Sept to this area. Read more
· News & Features
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest... ... Read more