Cliff Palace Review
This was the first major Mesa Verde dwelling seen by cowboys Charlie Mason and Richard Wetherill in 1888. It is also the largest, containing about 150 rooms and 23 kivas on three levels. Getting there involves a steep downhill hike and three ladders. Purchase tickets at the Visitor and Research Center, Morefield Ranger Station, and at the Colorado Welcome Center in Cortez. From Memorial Day through Labor Day, rangers in historical costumes lead a 90-minute Twilight Tour of the site. These tours run daily just before twilight; tickets are available only at the Visitor and Research Center.
- Address: Cliff Palace Overlook, about 2½ miles south of Chapin Mesa Archeological Museum, Mesa Verde National Park, CO 81330
- Cost: Basic tour $3; Twilight tour $10
- Hours: Late May–early Sept., daily 9–6; early Sept.–mid-Oct., daily 9–5; late Oct.–early Nov., daily 9–4
- Location: Mesa Verde National Park
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
Hello! Read more
Day 1 - 28th Oct.(15 miles) Our weather reports had told us that overnight and morning would be the worst storms in the UK for 25 yrs. Got to be true as they had been forecasting it for days and days before. Read more
· News & Features
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest... ... Read more