Mesa Verde National Park Travel Guide
Fodor's Arizona & the Grand Canyon 2013
Unlike most national parks of the west, Mesa Verde earned its status from its rich cultural history rather than its geological treasures. President Theodore Roosevelt established it in 1906 as the first national park to "preserve the works of man." The Ancestral Puebloan people, who lived in the region from roughly 600 to 1300, left behind more than 4,000 archaeological sites spread out over 80 square mi. Their ancient dwellings, set high into the sandstone cliffs, are the heart of the park.
All 150 rooms of the park's Far View Lodge, open April through October, have private balconies and fill up quickly—so reservations are recommended...read more
Dining options in Mesa Verde are limited inside the park, but comparatively plentiful and varied if you're staying in a nearby town. In surrounding communities...read more
Things To Do in Mesa Verde National Park
Explore the best sights, entertainment, and shopping with our top choices and insider tips.
- Book Mesa Verde Inn Cortez in May: Stay 2 night and save Expedia
- $38.99 & up : Compact rentals in Cortez Hotwire
- $44.99 & up : Full Size rentals in Cortez — $45 Hotwire
- $40.99 & up : Midsize rentals in Cortez — $41 Hotwire
Cliff dwellings: Built atop the pinyon-covered mesa tops and hidden in the park's valleys is a wondrous collection of 600 ancient dwellings, some... Read more
Mesa Verde National Park: The First 100 Years, by Rose Houk, Faith Marcovecchio, and Duane A. Smith, captures the park as it celebrated its... Read more
Many areas of the park have extensive fire damage. In fact, wildfires here have been so destructive they are given names, just like hurricanes... Read more
From blazing sunsets to gigantic caverns full of bats, here's where to find the magic of the Southwest... ... Read more
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
· Travel Planner
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Family of 4 going to Colo in July. Read more