Zapata Falls Recreation Area
Zapata Falls Recreation Area Review
If it's a hot day, take a drive to the falls section of the Zapata Falls Recreation Area, about 7 mi south of Great Sand Dunes National Park (and about 10 mi north of Alamosa). From the trailhead, it's a ½-mi hike to the 40-foot waterfall and a mildly steep trail, which can include wading in a stream and walking through a narrow gorge to view the falls (depending on water levels). Air temperatures in the gorge are always cool and inviting, and the falls are beautiful, but be careful of the current (and slippery rocks) here. a picnic area and restrooms are at the entrance. The trailhead is 3½ mi off Highway 150, between mile markers 10 and 11.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $120.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Alamosa Hotwire
- Small budget: Stay in Alamosa this May Fr $87+/Nt Expedia
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
I am planning a road trip from Sacramento to Denver end of June. Read more
· News & Features
Earlier this week, Consumer Reports released their annual study of the best and worst domestic airlines.... Read more
From the steamed cider aromas that hit you in the lobby to the local ingredients served in the restaurant,... Read more
You might not expect to find yourself amongst wine grapes a mere 75 miles outside of New York City.... Read more