Horseback Riding in Great Sand Dunes National Park
It's BYOH (bring-your-own-horse) here, but if you've got horses, you can ride them throughout the preserve and in much of the park. There are certain restrictions. For example, riding is not allowed in areas with high pedestrian traffic, such as the Pinyon Flats Campground. Camping with horses is permitted in certain areas; stop at the visitor center to pick up a horseback-riding and camping map and a free permit for camping with a horse and parking your horse trailer.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe