Bicycling in Great Sand Dunes National Park
While the park is a good choice for hikers and overnight campers, it's not for mountain bikers or other cyclists; bikes aren't permitted off road anywhere in the park, and the unpaved roads and trails are too sandy for even the fattest tires (trails in designated wilderness areas are also off-limits). Your best bet for mountain biking in the area is Penitente Canyon (about 18 mi north of Monte Vista) or the Zapata Loops at the Zapata Falls Recreation Area, which is nine mi south of the park. Both are Bureau of Land Management (BLM) areas.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's