- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Denver's downtown is laid out at a 45-degree angle to the rest of the metro area. Interstate 25 bisects Denver north to south, and Interstate 70 runs east to west. University Boulevard is a major north-south road and Speer Boulevard is a busy diagonal street. Most Denverites are tied to their vehicles, but the iight-rail works well if you're going to certain areas.
If you're staying downtown, you can visit LoDo, Capitol Hill, and Larimer Square by walking or using light-rail or the free Mall shuttle. The Central Platte Valley can be accessed by taking the Mall shuttle all the way north to the end and then walking across the pedestrian-only Millennium Bridge. You will need a car to get to Cherry Creek or City Park, however, but once there, those sections also are easy to explore on foot.
Downtown. With its pedestrian-friendly numbered streets, free Mall shuttle, and plethora of restaurants, galleries, and museums within easy walking distance, downtown is a logical starting point for exploring.
Central Platte Valley. Just west of downtown, the Central Platte Valley is a destination for daytime activities along the Platte River and evening pursuits such as dining, music, and dancing.
City Park and Environs. East of downtown, the 370-acre oasis that is City Park also serves as a jumping-off point for the Denver Zoo and the Denver Museum of Nature & Science.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $109-$149 -- 4-Diamond Hotel near Downtown Boulder, 60% Off Renaissance Boulder Flatiron Hotel
- $119-$129 -- Colorado: Aspen Resort through Summer, 70% Off The Westin Snowmass Resort
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
- $129 -- Colorado: Top-Rated Steamboat Resort — $129 Sheraton Steamboat Springs
- $119-$159 -- 4-Star Downtown Denver Hotel, 50% Off — $119-$159 The Westin Denver Downtown