- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
A former mining and mill town at the top of Boulder Canyon and on the scenic Peak-to-Peak Highway, "Ned" embodies that small, mountain-town spirit in look and attitude: laid-back, independent, and friendly.
Nederland started out as a mill town, processing the silver mined in the now-deserted nearby town of Caribou. The town got its name from a Dutch company that owned several mines in the area: "Nederland" is Dutch for "Netherlands," or low lands, and Nederland was "below" Caribou. Nederland was also well known for its tungsten mining during World War I. Around town you'll see references to "wolf's tongue," a word play on wolframite, the ore from which tungsten is extracted. The downtown retains the character of its silver-milling days, and has several good bars, cafés, and restaurants. Shops sell used books, antiques, organic groceries, fabrics, and gemstones. Nederland is the gateway to skiing at Eldora Mountain Resort and high-altitude hiking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness.
Nederland at a Glance
Elsewhere in Boulder and North Central Colorado
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- May deal: BEST WESTERN PLUS Boulder Inn Fr $196+/Nt Expedia
- $96.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Boulder Hotwire
- Homewood Suites by Hilton Boulder in May: $202 & Up — $202 Expedia
- Save in Boulder: Book 3 Nts in May Fr $185+/Nt — $185 Expedia
- Boulder Savings! Book at Rodeway Inn & Suites Fr $81+/Nt — $81 Save with Expedia, $12/night less