- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Hiking and Mountain Biking
Hall Ranch. More than 14 miles of trails at Hall Ranch are open to hikers, mountain bikers, and equestrians. The Bitterbrush Trail/Nelson Loop follows the Bitterbrush Trail for 3.7 miles and has a 680-foot elevation gain, crossing meadows and ascending and descending through stands of pine trees and rock outcroppings. It connects to the 2.2-mile Nelson Loop, which leads to the original Nelson Ranch House. The slight 400-foot elevation gain of the Nelson Loop brings you up onto a plateau that provides great views of the mountains to the north. Allow five to six hours to hike the trail, less for biking it. 0.75 miles west of Lyons on Hwy. 7, Lyons, CO, 80540. www.co.boulder.co.us/openspace.
Rabbit Mountain. Rabbit Mountain has several easy to moderate trails that afford views of the High Rockies and the plains. Be sure to pick up the interpretive pamphlet at the trailhead that explains the history of the area, including the dramatic metamorphosis of Rabbit Mountain from a lush, tropical swamp inhabited by dinosaurs to the present-day, mile-high desert that's home to raptors, prairie dogs, coyotes, and the occasional rattlesnake. The 2-mile round-trip Little Thompson Overlook Trail forks off to the left before you come to the gravel road and climbs a mere 500 feet to the point where you can see Longs Peak, the plains to the east, and Boulder Valley to the south. The 4-mile Eagle Wind Trail loop has short spurs to viewpoints. From the parking area, head out on the trail to the gravel road and then right onto the single-track loop. 2 miles east of Lyons, Lyons, CO, 80540. www.co.boulder.co.us/openspace.
More Sports and Outdoors
- Hiking and Mountain Biking
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe