Lyons is a peaceful, down-to-earth community of 1,600 residents that’s just inside the red-sandstone foothills at the confluence of the North St. Vrain and South St. Vrain creeks. Founded in 1881, it’s crammed with historic buildings—there are 15 structures listed in the National Register of Historic Places—and the whole downtown area feels like a turn-of-the-20th-century frontier outpost. The cafés, restaurants, art galleries, and antiques stores attract lots of visitors, who also come for the recreation opportunities and top-notch music festivals.
Lyons at a Glance
Elsewhere in Boulder and North Central Colorado
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's