Boulder and North Central Colorado Feature
- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Base Camp: Estes Park or Grand Lake?
Many more people stay in Estes Park rather than Grand Lake because it's closer to the cities of the Front Range—but the traffic, particularly on summer weekends, reflects that. Expect parking in downtown Estes Park to be difficult, and count on delays while driving through town. There are also more options for lodging and meals here than in Grand Lake. A hotel room averages $150 per night, and a burger will run you about $8. The Safeway in Stanley Village at the intersection of U.S. 34 (Big Thompson Ave.) and U.S. 36 (St. Vrain Ave.) is the best place to pick up insect repellent, sunscreen, and water and snacks (including deli sandwiches) for hiking.
Grand Lake is a smaller resort than Estes Park. Getting around in a car is easier, and parking is rarely a problem. It's also a bit closer—only 2 mi—from Grand Lake village to the RMNP entrance. The outdoor activities here are more diverse than in Estes Park; the list includes water sports on Grand Lake, mountain biking, and snowmobiling. Grand Lake village is also close to skiing and ice-fishing, and hiking in the Indian Peaks Wilderness and the Arapaho National Recreation Area. A hotel room averages about $110 per night, and a burger costs around $8. The Mountain Food Market at 400 Grand Avenue sells insect repellent, water, and snacks for hiking.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Book 3-Star Courtyard by Marriott Boulder in Boulder Fr $247+/Nt Save with Expedia, $17/night less
- $124.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Boulder Hotwire
- Unbelievable Price! 4 Nts Boulderado + Air Fr $892 Travelocity
- Book in Boulder: Save this Jun Fr $219+/Nt — $219 Expedia
- Unbelievable Price! 4 Nts Millennium Harvest House + Air Fr $710 — $710 Travelocity