Winter Sports in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
From late November to early April, South Rim Road is not plowed past the visitor center, offering park guests a unique opportunity to cross-country ski or snowshoe on the road. It's possible to ski or snowshoe on the unplowed North Rim Road, too, but it's about 4 mi from where the road closes, through sagebrush flats, to the canyon rim.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $94.00 & up : 3-star hotels in Gunnison Hotwire
- Gunnison Savings! Book at Quality Inn Gunnison Fr $123+/Nt Expedia
- $38.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Gunnison Hotwire
- $119 & Up: Cheap Gunnison Stay — $119 Hotels.com
- $33.95 & up : Midsize rentals in Gunnison — $34 Hotwire