Horseback Riding in Black Canyon of the Gunnison National Park
Although its name might indicate otherwise, Deadhorse Trail is actually the only trail in the park where horses are allowed. The trail is an easy-to-moderate 5-mi loop that begins east of North Rim Road. Horses are not allowed on the South Rim, and can be on the North Rim only on the Deadhorse Trail, in the North Rim Campground, or on the North Rim Road during transport in a trailer.
Black Canyon of the Gunnison has no facilities geared toward horses. If you bring your own horse, go to the end of North Rim Road and park your trailer at Kneeling Camel Overlook to access Deadhorse Trail. No permit is required.
Outfitters and Expeditions
Elk Ridge Ranch and Trail Rides. You can take 90-minute and two-hour rides at this ranch. Elk Ridge also offers a half-day ride to the rim of the Black Canyon. 10203 Bostwick Park Rd., Montrose, CO, 81401. 970/240–6007. www.elkridgeranchinc.com. May–Sept., daily.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's