- Sheer of heights Play it safe, but edge as close to the canyon rim as you dare and peer over into an abyss that's more than 2,700 feet deep in some places.
- Rapids transit Experienced paddlers can tackle Class V rapids and 50°F water with the occasional portage past untamable sections of the Gunnison River.
- Fine fishing Fish the rare Gold Medal Waters of the Gunnison. Of the 9,000 miles of trout streams in Colorado, only 168 miles have this "gold medal" distinction.
- Triple-park action Check out Curecanti National Recreation Area and Gunnison Gorge National Conservation Area, which bookend Black Canyon.
- Cliff-hangers Watch experts climb the Painted Wall—Colorado's tallest vertical wall at 2,250 feet—and other challenging rock faces.
Need trip ideas? Check out our curated collections of destinations around the globe.More