- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Maroon Bells Review
The majestic Maroon Bells are twin peaks more than 14,000 feet high. The colorful peaks, thanks to mineral streaking, are so vivid you'd swear they were blanketed with primrose and Indian paintbrush. It's one of the most-photographed spots in the state. Before 9 am and after 5 pm cars can drive all the way up to the lake (and vehicles with children in car seats are permitted at any time). Otherwise, cars are allowed only partway, but the Roaring Fork Transportation Authority provides shuttle buses that leave regularly in summer months from the Aspen Highlands. A convenient pass, available for $27, includes one trip to the Maroon Bells and one ride up Aspen Mountain's Silver Queen Gondola, where concerts, nature walks, amazing hiking, and other activities await you.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $152 & up -- Colorado 4-Star Vail Riverfront Resort, 40% Off The Westin Riverfront Resort & Spa at Beaver Creek Mountain
- $119 & up -- Downtown Denver Hotel incl. Weekends, 60% Off Sheraton Downtown Denver Hotel
- $12.62 & up -- Car Rentals across Colorado CarRentals.com
We took a trip West. Read more
Haven't posted here in awhile, but felt the need to repay the research I found on Fodor's for this trip!
I was searching for a spring break skiing destination for me & my 11 y.o. - needed sufficie Read more
Hello! Read more
· News & Features
Whether you're a cocktail aficionado or a mixology amateur, you'll learn a ton about your favorite drinks... Read more
Fodor's met up with Antonio Banderas to talk about being the face of Iberostar Resorts worldwide.... Read more