- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
The artsy, outdoorsy town of Carbondale sits under looming Mt. Sopris (12,095 feet). Its Main Street is lined with century-old brick buildings that house clothing boutiques, art galleries, and excellent restaurants. Locals gather there on the first Friday of every month for an outdoor block party that features music, street performers, artists' receptions, wine tastings, kids' activities, and more.
The paved Rio Grande recreation trail runs through town; bicycles are the preferred method of commuting for many area employees. Otherwise you'll find Carbondale's fit residents hiking and mountain biking below Mt. Sopris's twin summits, fly-fishing the Crystal River, kayaking, rafting, and tubing the Roaring Fork River, and Nordic skiing at Spring Gulch above town.
Carbondale at a Glance
Elsewhere in Aspen and the Roaring Fork Valley
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's