- Fine fare Restaurants in Aspen, Basalt, Carbondale, and Glenwood Springs are used to being praised for climbing gastronomic heights, and the dishes that many offer, from locally raised Wagyu beef to Russian caviar, are as upscale as the clientele.
- Historic hotels Thanks to moneyed preservationists, the Victorian Hotel Jerome in Aspen and the Medici-inspired Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs still stand.
- Hot springs The 93°F mineral-water pool at Glenwood Springs has been a therapeutic retreat since the Ute Indians called it "healing waters."
- The mountains You'll find postcard Colorado in the 14,000-foot Maroon Bells, especially when these steep-faced peaks are reflected in Maroon Lake.
- The scene You'll see it all in Aspen—Hollywood celebs in cowboy boots, high-heeled Brazilians, tanned European ski instructors, and fascinating and friendly locals.
FODOR'S GO LIST 2015
The top 25 places we think should be on every traveler's radar this year.More