- Fine fare Restaurants in Aspen, Basalt, Carbondale, and Glenwood Springs are used to being praised for climbing gastronomic heights, and the dishes that many offer, from locally raised Wagyu beef to Russian caviar, are as upscale as the clientele.
- Historic hotels Thanks to moneyed preservationists, the Victorian Hotel Jerome in Aspen and the Medici-inspired Hotel Colorado in Glenwood Springs still stand.
- Hot springs The 93°F mineral-water pool at Glenwood Springs has been a therapeutic retreat since the Ute Indians called it "healing waters."
- The mountains You'll find postcard Colorado in the 14,000-foot Maroon Bells, especially when these steep-faced peaks are reflected in Maroon Lake.
- The scene You'll see it all in Aspen—Hollywood celebs in cowboy boots, high-heeled Brazilians, tanned European ski instructors, and fascinating and friendly locals.
Want to stay at the finest properties when you travel? Check out our annual list of the 100 best hotels in the world.More