One of the most beautiful train trips in the country, Amtrak's Coast Starlight, begins in Los Angeles and hugs the Pacific Coast to San Luis Obispo before it turns inland for the rest of its journey to Seattle. The California Zephyr travels from Chicago to Oakland via Denver; the Pacific Surfliner connects San Diego and San Luis Obispo via Los Angeles and Santa Barbara with multiple departures daily; and the Sunset Limited runs from Los Angeles to New Orleans via Arizona, New Mexico, and Texas.
Amtrak (800/872–7245. www.amtrak.com.)
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe