Sierra Star Golf Course. Because it's nestled right up against the forest, you might see deer and bears on the fairways on the picture-perfect 18-hole Sierra Star Golf Course, California's highest-elevation golf course (take it slow!). Tee off after 4 pm and knock $60 off the regular $129 greens fee. 2001 Sierra Star Pkwy., Mammoth Lakes, CA, 93546. 760/924–2200. www.mammothmountain.com.
Snowcreek Resort. The 9-hole course at Snowcreek Resort sits in a meadow with drop-dead gorgeous, wide-open vistas of the mountains. Nine-hole play starts at $45, 18 holes at $65; renting carts and playing on weekends add to the cost. Play nine holes after 3 pm for $25. 2 Fairway Dr., Old Mammoth Rd., Mammoth Lakes, CA, 93546. 760/934–6633. www.snowcreekresort.com.
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's