International real-estate developers joined forces with Mammoth Mountain Ski Area to transform the once sleepy town of Mammoth Lakes (elevation 7,800 feet) into an upscale ski destination. The Village at Mammoth is the epicenter of the recent development. Much of the architecture here is of the faux-alpine variety, but you'll find relatively sophisticated dining and lodging options. Winter is high season; in summer, room rates plummet.
Mammoth Lakes at a Glance
Experience Mammoth Lakes
Elsewhere in The Southern Sierra
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's