Getting Here and Around
The drive here on Highway 140 from Mariposa and, farther west, Merced, is the prettiest and gentlest (in terms of steep uphill and downhill portions) route to Yosemite National Park. Much of the road follows the Merced River in a rugged canyon. The Yosemite Area Regional Transportation System (YARTS; www.yarts.com) is a cheap and dependable way to go between Merced and Yosemite Valley; all buses stop in El Portal, where many park employees reside.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- Econo Lodge North Parkway Drive in May: $57 & Up Expedia
- May deal: Homewood Suites by Hilton Fresno Fr $129+/Nt Expedia
- Unbelievable Price! 5 Nts Piccadilly Inn Express + Air Fr $886 Travelocity
- $15.95 & up : Full Size rentals in Fresno Hotwire
- May deal: Crossland Economy Studios - Fresno - West Fr $63+/Nt — $63 Expedia