- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Rental stands for surfboards, windsurfers, small powerboats, and sailboats can be found near most of the piers.
Swim Beach. Inside Dana Point Harbor, Swim Beach has a fishing pier, barbecues, food stands, parking, restrooms, and showers.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching. Charters and whale-watching excursions are offered by Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching from early November to late April. Tickets cost $45; reservations are required. 34675 Golden Lantern St., Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/496–5794. www.danawharf.com.
Hobie Sports. Hobie Sports rents surfboards and boogie boards. 24825 Del Prado, Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/496-2366. www.hobie.com.
Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Watching Safari. You have a good chance of getting a water's-eye view of resident dolphins and migrating whales if you take one of these tours on a 35-foot catamaran. Dave, a marine naturalist–filmmaker, and his wife run the safaris year-round. The endangered blue whale is sometimes seen in summer. Reservations are required for the safaris, which last 2½ hours and cost $55. 24440 Dana Point Harbor Dr., Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/488–2828. www.dolphinsafari.com.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Fodor's Go List 2014: Where we are going in 2014
- World Cup Fever: Start planning your trip to Brazil!
- Fodor's 100 Hotel Awards: Check out the winners of 2013
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe