- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
Sports and the Outdoors
Rental stands for surfboards, windsurfers, small powerboats, and sailboats can be found near most of the piers.
Swim Beach. Inside Dana Point Harbor, Swim Beach has a fishing pier, barbecues, food stands, parking, restrooms, and showers.
Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching. Charters and whale-watching excursions are offered by Dana Wharf Sportfishing & Whale Watching from early November to late April. Tickets cost $29; reservations are required. 34675 Golden Lantern St., Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/496-5794. www.danawharf.com.
Hobie Sports. Hobie Sports rents surfboards and boogie boards. 24825 Del Prado, Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/496-2366. www.hobie.com.
Capt. Dave's Dolphin & Whale Safari. You have a good chance of getting a water's-eye view of resident dolphins and migrating whales if you take one of these tours on a 35-foot catamaran. Dave, a marine naturalist-filmmaker, and his wife run the safaris year-round. The endangered blue whale is sometimes seen in summer. Reservations are required for the safaris, which last 2½ hours and cost $55. 24440 Dana Point Harbor Dr., Dana Point, CA, 92629. 949/488-2828. www.dolphinsafari.com.
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $220-$229 -- Santa Monica Hotel near Beach w/Breakfast Bookit.com
- $189-$209 -- Weekends & Holidays at Beverly Hills Hotel Residence Inn Beverly Hills
- $124 -- Los Angeles: 4-Star Hollywood Hotel — $124 Hotwire.com
- $103 -- 4-Star Los Angeles Downtown Hotel — $103 Hotwire.com