- Places to Explore
- Travel Tips
- Fodor's Choice
At the town of Albion, Highway 128 leads southeast into the Anderson Valley, whose hot summer weather might lure those weary of persistent coastal fog. Most of the first 13 miles wind through redwood forest along the Navarro River, then the road opens up to reveal farms and vineyards. While the community here is anchored in ranching, in the past few decades a progressive, gourmet-minded counterculture has taken root and that is what defines most visitors' experience. In the towns of Philo and Boonville you'll find B&Bs with classic Victorian style as well as small eateries.
Anderson Valley is best known to outsiders for its wineries. Tasting rooms here are more low-key than in Napa; most are in farmhouses and are more likely to play reggae than classical music. That said, Anderson Valley wineries produce world-class wines, particularly Pinot Noirs and Gewürtztraminers, whose grapes thrive in the cool, coastal climate. All the wineries are along Highway 128, mostly in Philo with a few east of Boonville. The following are our favorites and are listed here from west to east.
Anderson Valley at a Glance
Elsewhere in The North Coast
Free Fodor's Newsletter
Subscribe today for weekly travel inspiration, tips, and special offers.
Fodor's Trip Planning Ideas
- Weekend Getaways: Fodor's Recommends the Best Weekend Escapes in the US
- Great American Vacation: Find Your Next U.S. Trip with Fodor's
- 80 Degrees: Fodor's Helps You Find Your Best Beach Vacation Spots
- Go List: Fodor's Top 25 Places to Go in 2013
- Hotel Awards 2012: Fodor's 100 Top Hotels
- Best of Europe: Fodor's Picks the Best Places to Visit in Europe
- $140* & up -- Nationwide Flights on American, R/T American Airlines
- $294 -- LA Oceanfront Hotel near Santa Monica Pier, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $154 & up -- San Diego 4-Star Waterfront Resort, 40% Off BookIt.com
- $8.87 & up -- Car Rentals across California CarRentals.com
- $81 -- Blue Man Group’s New Vegas Show, Reg. $116 Blue Man Group